Keeping my Mouth Shut

 Wearing many hats in our profession can often bring problems.  As a general contractor, I have been repairing homes for realtor’s customers, so they could close their sale.  As a home inspector, I have given comfort to buyers, letting them know what they are buying and having the ability to advise them on costs to remodel and repairs.  As a realtor, working together with other realtors to bring contracts to closing and developing long term friendships and positive working relationships, has been very rewarding.
  With all the “Short Sales” going on right now and home buyers trying to save money on the great deals out there; I have run into problem.  A realtor calls me and asks me to inspect a property after having some damage and possible water damage found during a WDO inspection to certify the damage is from an old leak, was not active and give an written estimate for repairs for another area; here’s where the problem begins.  As I climbed into the attic, I found the spots and determined the damaged areas were not active but I noticed the attic did not have proper ventilation, trunk lines were not sealed with open gaps at the main trunk line.  I also found a taped wire junction which had exposed wire with different metals, (one had old aluminum mixed wire).  I also determined the roof was failing, (because the attic was not ventilated properly), and had numerous areas of rotten decking and was not sealed at the eaves.  I contacted the agent about what his request was and I asked the agent if the buyer had hired a Home Inspector and what the inspector had found.  The agent advised me the buyer was handy and had done the inspection themselves and thought the property was fine and they could handle the small repairs themselves.  I submitted my opinion of the water marks and a written bid for the repairs of what the agent asked for. My concern comes from my limited observation of the code violations, long term maintenance problems and the projected high cost of roof replacement and sealing the HVAC trunk lines; did the buyer have a true idea of what they are getting into?  I know it shouldn’t bother me, it’s wasn’t my deal and I know how tough the real estate market is; so I’m keeping my mouth shut.  As a selling agent or a buyers agent: would you want me to tell you what I saw?

Comments

Popular Posts