Why your Newsletters Don't Get Opened

It’s the first of the month, and I don’t even have to look at my calendar to know that. In the first few days, everyone’s “newsletter” arrives in my email. I quickly go through the list; delete, delete, delete, and this goes on several times throughout the day. As I started to delete the last newsletter today, I stopped, opened it, looked it over for a moment, and deleted it. What crossed my mind, is the amount of money real estate people, and those directly involved within the real estate industry, are spending for this service. Just like many of you, my wife and I travel across the country to attend conferences, conventions, seminars and retreats and there is always a trade show with vendors selling this kind of service. The key comment, which almost every vendor uses; “our product will give you more time to do what you best and spend more quality time with your family”, (sticking finger down my throat motion). There are many service providers whose products promise to keep “you” in front of "your customers", so they never forget "you", but when you ask what the opening percentage is, the typical answer is; anywhere between 2%-10%. My questions is; do the recipients open the newsletters by accident or just to compare to see if there is any difference between "other" newsletters they received? Having many friends in the real estate business across North America, I want to see what everyone else is doing and to my surprise, many of the generic newsletters, are exactly the same. I find them all to be about as exciting as a two for one sale on “No Fat, No Sugar added Vanilla Ice Milk”. We know when we are supposed to change the batteries in our smoke detectors, (when they chirp), and we really don’t need to be reminded about it. All the dozens of tips to sell your home quickly; listen up, there is only two, condition and price. The reason your newsletters doesn’t get opened; they have no value. How do you create value? For every problem, offer a solution. People want to know what’s going on in their community, and despite popular belief, there is not a national median home price, all real estate is local, (compare South Bend, Indiana to Miami, Florida). What buyers and sellers want is a real person, giving them real information, and every once in a while, you can pick up the phone and ask them how they are doing. If you want to send out a monthly newsletter, there are several FREE services out there, where you can create your own newsletter which should offer value and prove you are a real professional. If you want to do what every other agent is doing, keep using the services. If you want to set yourself apart from the average agent, create your own personal newsletter, I promise, your customers will open it and remember you.

If you would like to visit my authors page, follow this link 

   



Comments

Popular Posts